With these benefits why wouldn’t you want to get Chartered Manager status?
The Chartered Management Institute (CMI) is the only Chartered professional body in the UK dedicated to promoting the highest standards in management and leadership excellence, and shares a philosophy of practical, applied management development.
The CMI reports that according to the managers they spoke to, undertaking qualifications helped to improve employee morale and engagement, which is important, considering the following statistics:
- 70% of employees in the UK do not trust their managers (Engage for Success, 2013)
- The UK has 6% lower average engagement levels than other large economies (Kenexa, 2011)
The Brighton School of Business and Management (BSBM) has built a reputation for delivering high quality distance-learning Leadership and Management courses. Our core Management and Leadership Training programmes are accredited by the Chartered Management Institute (CMI).
Once you’ve had your qualification accredited with CMI you’ll be registered for 12 months of free CMI membership, which comes with a host of benefits and services that enhance and support your career journey. Your qualification and leadership experience may also enable you to apply to become a Chartered Manager, the highest accolade in the management and leadership profession.
Being a Chartered Manager means four things. Firstly, a Chartered Manager is qualified in management and leadership. Moreover, they have current professional experience – they have been assessed on the basis of the impact that they make at work. Thirdly, they are committed to continuing their professional development, which is crucial at a time when managers face change like never before. Finally, they subscribe to an ethical code of conduct, CMI’s Code of Practice for Professional Managers.
Chartered puts you on the Management Map!
Managers typically gain their chartered status to improve their management skills and improve their performance at work. Chartered Manager is the highest status that can be achieved in the management profession. Awarded only by CMI, thousands of UK managers at all levels and across all sectors now hold Chartered Manager and highly value it.
The CMI conducted research in 2015, with managers who had achieved Chartered Manager status to find out the benefits that they and their organisations experienced as a result. Here are some of the key benefits:
- Increasing financial value: The financial impact from Chartered Managers is considerable: on average, Chartered Managers report that they add £391,443 of value to their employer. The financial gain for the individual is also considerable. One in five of respondents link their accreditation with increased pay and/or bonuses. Their earnings grew by an average of £8,845 and bonuses by £7,496.
Independent research proves that individuals with professional qualifications and membership stand to earn an additional £152,000 throughout their career. You’ll also be part of an extensive management community, opening doors for career progression.
- Raising their skill levels: The process of gaining Chartered Manager raises overall skill levels, with 83% who responded to the research, believing they have become better managers as a result. Nine in 10 said that they use their accreditation to provide clear evidence of their individual impact on the performance of their organisation.
- Gaining professional recognition: In today’s competitive job market, you need to establish your credentials as a professional to stand out from the crowd if you wish to succeed. Employers are looking for evidence that an individual is motivated and committed enough to be considered for investment in their professional development and Chartered Manager is clearly becoming a preferred requirement.
98% of managers who responded to the research said they became Chartered to gain much-needed recognition of their status as a management professional, and 96% say they became Chartered to demonstrate their commitment to management as a profession.
- The confidence to lead: The ability to lead requires that an individual knows and understands the processes by which they make decisions, as well as having the inner belief to execute them. 92% of Chartered Managers report that the accreditation has given them greater self-awareness, and 90% say that it has improved their self-confidence.
- Inspiring staff: More than four in five managers say that Chartered status enables them to act as a role model for management and leadership within their organisation. The same number (84%) also say that Chartered Manager empowers them to become an external ambassador for better management and leadership.
The demonstration of workplace impact and possession of a management qualification offers employers assurance that the manager can be relied upon to consistently deliver a high standard of performance. A Chartered Manager has demonstrated that they can put theory into practice and thus the accreditation ensures that a manager has the relevant skills to deliver a continual, positive impact. The commitment to CMI’s Code of Practice may reduce risk to organisational reputation through a commitment to ethical standards.
Being a Chartered Manager offers access to the full suite of CMI membership services. You will gain access to ManagementDirect – the CMI’s unique online multi-media knowledge base.
Chartered status equips you to meet daily management challenges in a professional, proficient way. Improving performance and effectiveness at managing people and projects will raise your confidence and ultimately, status in your organisation. Such benefits mean that employers are using Chartered Manager to drive business, retain customers and position themselves as an employer of choice.
You don’t stop learning once you qualify
Whether you’re a new manager or a seasoned CEO there are always new skills to learn. Recent research from the Chartered Management Institute has shown that managers taking online courses are developing additional skills – such as discipline, focus, accountability and troubleshooting – precisely because this method of learning requires them to be more organised and manage their own educational experience.
“Many employers need to rethink how they go about helping their managers learn new skills. Managers want personalised bite-size content, to share knowledge and learn from connected peer networks, to ask questions and get feedback in real time. Why? Because it’s now part of how we work and live.”
Ann Francke, CMI chief executive
Many director and senior managers have undertaken a level 7 or 8 Leadership or Management qualification to gain the resulting professional recognition. The Brighton School of Business and Management (BSBM) is one of the few providers of Level 7 and 8 CMI leadership training in UK. BSBM has built a reputation for delivering high quality content, support and guidance, which results in high pass rates, as well as contributing to successful career progression for students.
BSBM offers an unrivalled range of qualifications that cover a vast range of topics. Each one is designed to equip you with all the skills, practical guidance and confidence that bring success.
With a distance-learning CMI qualification you can start your journey to gaining your Chartered Status. The pace of learning is flexible, which can be a tempting option if you are a busy business manager juggling responsibilities at work and home while struggling to find time for professional training.
Distance learning programmes from the Brighton School of Business and Management offer the practical advantages of allowing you to gain knowledge when you want it and where you want it. We offer a full range of CMI accredited courses for the novice manager up to the seasoned CEO. Visit our website to find out more about all our CMI courses.
GBS Corporate Training, a sister company within the GBS Corporate Training Group, offers flexible programmes created specifically for your organisation. GBS will tailor course content to accommodate your unique business needs or to address skills shortages in your organisation. Through this approach, you can be sure your employees are gaining new knowledge and skills that will be relevant to your company.
GBS is an approved training provider for the Chartered Management Institute (CMI), the Institute of Leadership and Management (ILM) and the Chartered Quality Institute (CQI). In fact many of our solutions can lead to a person having Chartered status.
We listen to our clients carefully and so are able to support them to achieve real behavioural change in a business world that is constantly changing and where what we need to learn, when we need to learn and how we like to learn is also constantly changing. When the business world demands a new skill, GBS is able to provide the development.