Education In The New World
How will education change in years to come? A speculation …
Online study and the resulting qualifications are treated with suspicion by some; but so were the telephone, the car, and of course the Internet. So how do we judge what technology will really change the face of education and what will go the way of flying cars and domestic robots? How is education changing now and what changes will stick?
Key questions that will inform the transition to the future shape of education include:
- Will employers and society in general accept qualifications earned through online study as valid?
- How easy will it be to check the authenticity of student work?
- Will the teaching materials be good enough?
- Will teaching materials be engaging enough for students?
- How much ‘real’ interaction will be required for effective study?
- How much online interaction will be required?
- Can online courses be moulded to fit different styles of learning?
Given the long history of distance learning and the clear benefits that choosing it as a means of study, the nay-sayers do seem to be fighting a losing battle.